Frequently Asked Questions
Our mission is to make sharing simple. We believe bringing people and data together will empower researchers and clinicians, unlocking the full potential of academic inquiry and patient care. This is how we will transform health and change the world!
- Data silos isolate data, making it inaccessible to researchers and clinicians. While data brokers offer limited access for a fee, the information provided is mostly inaccurate, out-of-date, and incomplete.
- The value and role of personally generated health data in academic research and clinical medicine is rapidly expanding. However, working with data from devices like Fitbit and Apple Watch remains challenging. The time, effort, and expertise required acts as a barrier, limiting its use in research and clinical care.
We are proud to introduce the Summa System. The Summa System makes sharing simple by breaking down data silos and centering data around individuals. This gives researchers and clinicians unprecedented access to accurate, up-to-date, and complete survey and health data, straight from the source.
The Summa System consists of a web application for researchers and clinicians (“Data Consumers”) and a mobile application for study participants and patients (“Data Generators”).
Researchers and clinicians who collect data from participants and patients are ‘Data Consumers’.
Study participants and patients who share data with researchers and clinicians are ‘Data Generators’.
- To get started, Data Consumers create a ‘Project’. With each Project, Data Consumers can request different types of personally generated health data (PGHD), including heart rate, steps, sleep, and more! Data Consumers can also create surveys with flexible scheduling options.
- To enroll participants, Data Consumers distribute a Project-specific code. Data Generators enroll in the project by downloading the Summa Mobile App and entering the Project-specific code. Once enrolled, they can consent to sharing their requested PGHD and respond to surveys directly on their phone.
- Once a Project is complete, Data Consumers can export their data as a .csv file.
Every mile traveled, heart rate recorded, and hour slept tells a story about you and your health. In this way, personally generated health data (PGHD) builds upon patient-generated health data like health history, biometrics, symptoms, and more. PGHD collected by devices like Fitbit and Apple Watch provide insight into the lived experience and behaviors of study participants and patients.
With the Summa System, Data Consumers can request a variety of summary, workout, nutrition, measurement, and sleep-related PGHD. Examples of available data types include:
- Active Duration
- Energy Burned
- Resting Heart Rate
- Average Heart Rate
- Energy Consumed
- Blood Pressure
- Blood Glucose
- Body Fat
- Height & Weight
- Sleep Duration
- REM Sleep
- Sleep Score
Sign up to receive more information on PGHD available via the Summa System!
The Summa System works with many wearables, connected devices, and applications. Examples of devices and applications include:
- Apple Watch
- Apple HealthKit
- Under Armour
Sign up to receive more information on devices and applications compatible with the Summa System!
The Summa System performs vital data processing functions to ensure Data Consumers know exactly what they get. These include:
- Timestamp – Data is time stamped at creation and at sync.
- Source – The data source is identified and recorded.
- Normalize – Units associated with each data type are normalized
- Standardize – Data is returned with nomenclature labels that accurately identify the data type
- Fully HIPAA compliant
- GDPR “Data Processor” adherent
- De-identified to the “Safe Harbor” standard
- Encrypted in-transit and at rest to 256-bit AES
- US-EU Privacy Shield Certified
- Create, copy, and edit surveys
- Assign survey(s) to Project(s)
- Add a text block element to the survey
- Add a question:
- Single choice
- Multiple choice
- Short text answer
- Matrix array (Likert scales)
- Required questions
- Mobile app delivery with push notifications to promote response rates
- Flexible survey delivery and expiration scheduling options
- Web-based URL surveys for non-App response collection
- Export individual survey data as a .csv
The Summa System beta is open! If you are interested in trying out Summa, send us an email at Info@WeAreSumma.com! For updates from some of our early users, check out our blog!